Moravia Parish Picnic

Moravia, Texas is on highway 532 between Moulton and Schulenburg. It was one of the earlier Czech communities. I ran into Mrs. Chaloupka whose family has the dairy I mentioned in the St. John posting and whose family recipe was being used today also (dredge in flour, milk bath and dredge in seasoned flour before frying) and she had promised to help me grab up some chicken just as it came out of the fryer. Those pieces of chicken were spectacular, the crunch was amaaaaaazing and as of this date I have to say that it's the best chicken I've ever had. I absolutely loved this parish picnic because the cast iron kettles were being used for the chicken, potatoes and stew.

"See this one here?", he said, "That's an old one, really old. You can tell by how much thinner it is than this one."

Here is a link to a great article on the event by Dawn Orsak:
http://svacinaproject.blogspot.com/2013/07/gene-marie-bohuslav-and-moravia-picnic.html?showComment=1376221038402#c2927987866406012671


And here are the photos of today's outing.






No comments:

Post a Comment